When planning out your day’s snacks, try to always focus on pairing your food groups. What do I mean? Take a look at this super-simple formula. I promise you it is foolproof and, when practiced with portion control, will be your ticket to nixing the vending machine for good.
Formula for Snacks
Snack #1 (Carbohydrate + Fat)
- 1 slice whole-grain toast + 1 tablespoon almond butter = 150 calories (medium-sized snack)
Snack #2 (Carbohydrate + Protein)
- 1/4 cup dried fruit + 1 ounce almonds = 250 calories (medium-to-large-sized snack)
Snack #3 (Protein + Fat)
- 6 ounces Greek Yogurt + 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts = 150 calories (medium snack with high protein)
Snack #4 (Protein + Carbohydrate)
- 1 ounce cheese + 8 whole-grain crackers = 200 calories (medium-to-large-sized snack)
Honestly, your options are endless when it comes to pairing food groups to make the perfect combination to leave you feeling full and satisfied. If you're in need of a heartier snack option or a great on-the-go breakfast, check out this super-simple recipe I whipped up today.
If you're in need of a heartier snack option or a great on-the-go breakfast, check out this super-simple recipe.
- ½ cup skim cottage cheese
- 2 slices whole wheat toast
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 package non-sugar sweetener
- Mix cottage cheese with sugar and cinnamon.
- Toast bread and top with protein-packed goodness!
Serving size: 1
Calories: 180; Fat: 1g; Saturated fat: 0g; Unsaturated fat: 0g; Trans fat: 0g;
Carbohydrates: 22g; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 21g; Cholesterol: 10mg