In this monthly vlogging series, Stone Soup blogger Celestina Brunetti demonstrates recipes using ingredients featured in the most recent issue of Food & Nutrition Magazine. For March, Celestina shares with us how to make Jackfruit Larb, a vegan version of the traditional Thai dish that's typically made with pork.
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced red shallot
- 1 thinly sliced scallion (white and green parts)
- ½ cup thinly sliced mint leaves
- ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 10 ounces shredded jackfruit (about 2 ½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 leaves butter lettuce
- In a medium bowl, combine shallot, scallion, mint, cilantro, garlic, soy sauce, lime juice and sugar. This will be your dressing
- Open the jackfruit, or purchased pre-quartered, and pull it apart into shreds. Discard hard and fibrous pieces.
- Heat olive oil in small skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add jackfruit, red chili flakes and a pinch of salt. Sauté for about 1 minute, until mixture is heated through.
- Transfer jackfruit to dressing and toss. Arrange butter lettuce leaves on a serving plate and mound dressed jackfruit on top. Garnish with mint leaves.