I have been on a mango kick lately — I love the juicy and sweet flavors and vibrant summer color. Plus, it’s packed with vitamins A and C and fiber!
Consider Frozen Mangoes
If fresh mangoes aren’t available, I definitely recommend using the frozen variety. Frozen fruits are great when there is no time for grocery shopping or when you want to include variety, but your favorite fruits aren’t in season. And frozen is just so convenient — use it in sauces, blended in smoothies or mixed in a fruit salad.
The recipe below takes advantage of defrosted frozen mangoes to make for a perfectly light and cool summer appetizer served with tortilla chips.
- 1 pound precooked imitation crab meat, diced
- ⅓ cup red onion, diced
- 2 cups frozen mango chunks
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Defrost frozen mangoes in the refrigerator the night before preparation.
- Combine crab meat, red onion, defrosted mango, avocado, salt and pepper. Add lime juice and thoroughly mix.
- Serve immediately.
- Serve this salad with tortilla chips as an appetizer.