This cake is much healthier than typical German apple cake recipes because, instead of 1/2 cup of oil and 1 cup of sugar, it substitutes two bananas. This cuts the calories of the whole cake by 1,700 calories without sacrificing texture, moisture or flavor.
Do not forget the whole wheat flour which gives the cake a boost in not only fiber and minerals but healthy richness as well.
I like to serve it on cool evenings with a hot cup of tea — or even as a surprise for Saturday breakfast. The kids will enjoy having cake, while you know they are getting vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants from the wholesome fresh fruits and whole grains.
Healthy German Apple Cake
Developed by Sarene Alsharif
Preparation time: 30 minutes, Baking: 45 minutes, Servings: 16
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
2 mashed bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
4 cups of chopped peeled apples
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs, vegetable oil, brown sugar, mashed bananas and vanilla extract for 1 minute.
- In a medium sized bowl combine salt, unbleached flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg until spices and baking soda are dispersed evenly.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir together. Fold in chopped apples.
- Pour cake batter into cake pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove cake from pan and let it cool on a wire cooling rack for 1 hour before serving.