Don’t underestimate the versatility of bananas! Implementing bananas into your dessert recipes makes for a healthy swap with added nutrients.
This spin on the classic ice cream sandwich allows you to indulge in a dessert with fewer added sugars as well as the added fiber and potassium bananas provide. When prepared correctly, frozen bananas mimic the light and creamy texture of ice cream. Pair this simple banana “ice cream” with two peanut butter cookies and create a vegan, gluten-free, sweet treat with simple ingredients that anyone can enjoy!
Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream Sandwich
Makes 2 large or 4 smaller ice cream sandwiches
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
Banana ice cream ingredients
- 3 peeled and frozen bananas
- Preheat oven to 375°F and spray cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
- Stir almond flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Add peanut butter, coconut oil and maple syrup and stir evenly to form a dough.
- Form 4 balls of dough and flatten onto sheet to desired thickness.
- Bake for 10 minutes and let cool to room temperature. Do not use the cookies when they are still warm to make the sandwich, as the frozen banana mixture melts quickly
- Blend frozen bananas in a high-speed blender until ice-cream consistency is formed.
- Quickly spread banana mixture onto two cookies and stack remaining cookies on top. Optional: Sprinkle ice cream sandwiches with foods like cacao nibs, bee pollen or goji berries for added nutrients.
- Enjoy immediately or freeze to firm bananas and save for a later day.