Inspired by fattoush, this recipe features chickpeas and pistachios for added protein, eliminates difficult-to-find sumac and uses store-bought pita chips to reduce prep time.
SERVING SIZE: 2 cups (210 grams)
PREP TIME: 25 minutes
- 4½ cups chopped romaine lettuce (about 1 small head)
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1½ cups sliced and quartered English cucumber
- ¾ cup thinly sliced, quartered radishes (about 4 radishes)
- ⅓ cup chopped shallot
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- ½ cup chopped pistachios
- ½ cup chopped mint leaves
- ½ cup chopped parsley leaves
- 1½ cups crumbled baked whole-wheat pita chips
- ⅓ cup (80 milliliters) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, add romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, radish, shallot, chickpeas, pistachios, mint, parsley and pita chips.
- To a jar, add olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, maple syrup, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Tightly screw lid onto jar and shake vigorously to mix dressing.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to evenly coat.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 304 calories, 20g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 359mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 7g sugar, 8g protein, N/A potassium, N/A phosphorus