For a flavorful snack with minimal ingredients, mash chickpeas, form into patties and pan-fry until crispy and tender.
SERVING SIZE: 1 fritter (47 grams)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 5 minutes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons (20 milliliters) lemon juice
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon (14 milliliters) avocado oil
- In a large bowl, stir together chickpeas, lemon juice, flour and salt. Mash with potato masher or fork until a thick paste is formed, leaving a few chickpeas whole for texture. Stir in Parmesan cheese, basil and lemon zest.
- With clean hands, form mixture into 6 golf ball-sized balls. Flatten into patties, roughly 2 inches to 3 inches in diameter. Place on a plate.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add 3 to 4 patties to skillet, being mindful not to overcrowd the pan.
- Cook one side for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Flip and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a towel-lined plate.
- Cook remaining patties and serve immediately.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 119 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 3mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 2g sugar, 6g protein, 81mg potassium, 91mg phosphorus