Chicken Sausage, White Bean and Kale Soup
With hearty, flavorful ingredients, this warm and easy-to-make soup is ideal for cold or dreary days.
See more “A Bowl for Every Belly” recipes!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ Vidalia onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups chopped kale
- 3 pre-cooked Italian-flavored chicken sausages, sliced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 14½-ounce can low-sodium great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic, cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, pepper, thyme, oregano and bay leaf. Cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add kale and chicken sausage, stirring to ensure kale is coated with oil. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until kale is slightly wilted.
- Add broth, water and beans. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf and serve. Serves 4.
SERVING SIZE: 1 cup
CALORIES 222; TOTAL FAT 10g; SAT. FAT 2g; CHOL. 33mg; SODIUM 330mg; CARB. 20g; FIBER 7g; SUGARS 3g; PROTEIN 15g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in chicken sausage not available. Analysis based on USDA standard size of 85 grams per chicken sausage link.