Moroccan Farro and Lentil Soup
This cozy and aromatic vegan soup is packed with nutrient-rich vegetables, legumes and grains.
- ¼ cup red lentils, dry (or ½ cup red lentils, cooked)
- ¾ cup water
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup farro, dry
- ½ cup sweet potato, diced into small cubes
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup globe tomatoes, diced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- ¼ cup raisins
- In a 1½-quart pot, add dry lentils and water. Bring to a boil and reduce to medium-high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- While lentils cook, heat oil, garlic, onion and ginger in a 3-quart pot over medium-high heat. Cook until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Once lentils are cooked, drain excess water and add to 3-quart pot.
- Add vegetable broth, farro, sweet potato, red pepper, tomato, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, nutmeg, spinach and raisins. Cover with lid, bring to a boil and immediately reduce to medium heat. Cook for 30 minutes or until farro is tender. Serves 4.
SERVING SIZE: 1 cup
CALORIES 182; TOTAL FAT 2g; SAT. FAT 2g; CHOL. 0mg; SODIUM 96mg; CARB. 36g; FIBER 7g; SUGARS 11g; PROTEIN 7g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in low-sodium vegetable broth and farro not available.