With the holidays upon us, Food & Nutrition’s recipe developers cooked up a beautiful spread of secretly nutritious snacks, sweets and mocktails that are sure to entertain guests! Find our other “Festive Fete” recipes here.
Serving size: 1 pop
Prep time: 30 minutes
Freezing time: 1 hour
- 2 cups pitted Medjool dates (about 12 dates)
- ¼ cup crunchy peanut butter
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup, plus 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) molasses
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) unsweetened almond milk
- Place dates, peanut butter, pumpkin, oats, flour, oil, maple syrup, brown sugar, ¾ teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves and salt in a food processor. Process until mixture is smooth and sticks together as one large ball (about 30 to 60 seconds).
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Roll 1 heaping tablespoon of mixture into a ball and place on baking sheet. Continue with remaining mixture to make 12 balls.
- Place pan in freezer for 30 minutes. Remove balls from freezer and place a treat stick about ¾ of the way into each ball.
- In a small bowl, stir together pecans and remaining ¼ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Make a double boiler by filling a medium saucepan with 1 to 2 inches of water and bringing to a simmer. Place white chocolate chips in a medium glass or metal bowl and place on top of pot (bottom of bowl should not touch the water).
- Stir in molasses and almond milk, continuing to stir until mixture is completely melted.
- Dip a pop into the caramel, coating evenly and letting excess sauce drip back into the bowl. Hold the pop upright for 30 seconds to cool slightly.
- Dip gently into pecan mixture, pressing nuts onto the pop. Hold upright for another 30 seconds before placing the pop pecan-side-down on the lined baking sheet.
- Continue working through remaining pops and then place baking sheet with pops back in the freezer for 30 minutes until hardened.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 7 days and serve chilled or at room temperature.
* For festive flair, we rolled a few pops in pretty sprinkles
Nutrition per serving: CALORIES 321; TOTAL FAT 18g; SAT. FAT 8g; CHOL. 6mg; SODIUM 100mg; CARB. 40g; FIBER 4g; SUGARS 33g; PROTEIN 5g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A