Chicken and smoked mackerel replace beef and koobi, a popular Ghanaian fish, in this version of light soup.
SERVING SIZE: 1⅔ cup (404 grams)
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 35 minutes
- 3 3-ounce trimmed, boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large plum tomato
- 2-inch piece peeled ginger root, cut in half lengthwise
- ¼ small purple eggplant, peeled
- ¼ small onion
- ½ serrano chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon shrimp powder
- 6 ounces smoked mackerel, diced (optional skin removed)
- 1⅓ cup frozen cut okra
- ⅔ cup fresh basil, chopped
- In a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, add 4 cups water, chicken, salt, tomato, ginger, eggplant, onion and serrano and cover with lid.
- Maintain a rapid simmer and cook 15 minutes or until eggplant is knife-tender and chicken is cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- Turn off heat and use tongs to remove chicken and place on a cutting board to cool. Using tongs, place vegetables in a blender with tomato paste, shrimp powder and 2 cups water. Blend until smooth.
- Dice chicken and add to saucepan with blended vegetables, smoked mackerel and okra. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until hot. Add most of the basil, keeping some out for garnish.
Cooking note: For a spicier flavor, substitute habanero pepper in place of serrano chili pepper. Dark miso can be used in place of shrimp powder.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 198 calories, 11g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 69mg cholesterol, 554mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 3g sugar, 18g protein, NA potassium, NA phosphorus