A quick and easy take on pizza, a tortilla is topped with sauce, cooked vegetables and cheese and gently toasted in a skillet.
SERVING SIZE: ½ of a 10-inch tortilla pizza (167 grams)
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
- ¼ cup (52 milliliters) low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 cup white button or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (115 milliliters) canned tomato sauce
- ½ cup canned refried beans
- 1 cup shredded cheese (dairy or non-dairy), divided
- ½ cup fresh tomatoes, diced and divided
- 2 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- Heat vegetable broth in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, salt and black pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables become soft and most of the broth has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, mix the tomato sauce and refried beans in a microwave-safe bowl until well combined. Cover and cook in the microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Place tortilla in a large skillet over low heat. With the back of a spoon or a rubber spatula, spread half of the refried bean and tomato sauce mixture onto the tortilla to make a thin, even layer. Then, layer on ¼ cup cheese and ¼ cup diced tomatoes. Add half the cooked vegetable mixture on top and sprinkle on another ¼ cup cheese.
- Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until the bottom of the tortilla has turned slightly crispy and the cheese has mostly melted. Remove the tortilla pizza from the skillet and repeat the process with the other tortilla. Slice pizzas in half or quarters and serve immediately.
Cooking note: Use 8-inch tortillas to make smaller pizzas.
NUTRITION PER SERVING:* 231 calories, 10g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 20mg cholesterol, 409mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 4g sugar, 10g protein, NA potassium, NA phosphorus
*Cheddar cheese used for nutrition analysis