Traditional tortilla soup is prepared with chicken and fried tortilla strips. Roasted vegetables bring rich flavor to this adaptation, which incorporates plant-based protein and baked tortillas.
SERVING SIZE: 1½ cups (370 grams)
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 45 minutes
- 6 Roma tomatoes, halved
- 2 tomatillos, husks removed
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil, divided
- 2 cups (470 milliliters) low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 7 yellow corn tortillas (5¼ inches in diameter)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1 avocado, cut into 8 slices
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- In a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish, place tomatoes (cut side down), tomatillos, garlic and onion. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over vegetables, coating each piece.
- Transfer baking dish to the oven and roast for 25 minutes.
- When vegetables are done roasting, transfer them to a high-speed blender.
- Add 1 cup broth, cover with lid and blend on high for 30 seconds until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a Dutch oven on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Add remaining 1 cup broth, black beans, corn, oregano, cumin and salt. Stir to combine.
- Cover with lid and bring mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat to low-medium and cook for about 5 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, cut tortillas into quarters, then cut each quarter into &frac58:-inch-wide strips.
- Place tortilla strips in the center of a nonstick sheet pan and drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toss with hands to coat tortilla strips with oil, then arrange tortilla strips in a single layer and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Divide soup among 4 bowls, top with tortilla strips and garnish each with radish slices and 2 slices of avocado.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 366 calories, 14g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 485mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate, 15g fiber, 9g sugar, 11g protein, N/A potassium, N/A phosphorus