A bread pocket stuffed with savory and sweet, spice-infused filling, this twist on the traditional bolani features whole-wheat dough and added red pepper.
SERVING SIZE: 1 bolani (101 grams)
PREP TIME: 20 minutes, plus 30-minute rest time for dough
COOKING TIME: 12 minutes
- 1¼ cup whole-wheat flour, divided
- ½ teaspoon dry active yeast
- ½ teaspoon plus ⅛ teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon crushed coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup leeks, thinly sliced
- ½ cup red pepper, minced
- In a mixing bowl, stir together 1 cup flour, yeast and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Add ½ cup water and mix until you form a ball (sprinkle with flour if sticky or water if too dry).
- Sprinkle remaining flour onto a clean flat surface, then knead dough 2 minutes until smooth (use more flour to reduce stickiness).
- Form dough into ball and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- In a 10-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Add coriander, cumin, turmeric, remaining salt and red pepper flakes and stir. Cook 2 minutes, then stir in leeks and red pepper. Cover with lid. Reduce heat to low and cook 6 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl and wipe pan clean with paper towel.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, then flatten with palm to make a circle.
- Lightly flour each side and use a rolling pin to press into 6-inch round disc with ⅛-inch thickness.
- Spread ¼ of the leek-pepper mixture onto half of a circle and fold the unfilled half over to form a semicircle. Press dough together with fork tines to seal. Repeat with remaining dough.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until hot. Place 2 bolani in skillet and cook 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Gently poke any air pockets with fork tine.
- Place bolani on paper towel and repeat with remaining bolani and oil.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 276 calories, 12g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 295mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 1g sugar, 7g protein, N/A potassium, N/A phosphorus