Delicious and satisfying whole-wheat pancakes are full of pineapple and warm spices. Serve with blueberry compote.
SERVING SIZE: 1 pancake (110 grams) and 3 tablespoons compote (45 grams)
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
- 2 8-ounce cans crushed pineapple
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger, divided
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (180 milliliters) 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) canola oil
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- Place a mesh strainer over a bowl and drain crushed pineapple, reserving both the liquid and pineapple.
- In a 1-quart saucepan set over medium heat, combine blueberries, pineapple juice, 1 tablespoon sugar and ½ teaspoon ground ginger.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Using a potato masher, crush blueberries slightly to release their juices.
- Simmer until reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together crushed pineapple, milk, oil and egg.
- Pour pineapple mixture into dry ingredients and stir until just combined but not over-mixed.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- When skillet is hot, ladle ½ cup batter into the pan, as many times as will fit in the pan without touching.
- Cook on one side until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip and cook until golden brown and the center of the pancake is cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve pancakes with warm blueberry compote.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 245 calories, 7g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 536mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 21g sugar, 6g protein, 277mg potassium, 180mg phosphorus