Using a traditional Chinese egg waffle pan, whole-grain flour is combined with vanilla, carrot shavings and cinnamon to create the base of this unique dessert.
Serving size: ½ roll (170 grams)
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 6 minutes
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup, plus 2 tablespoons (110 milliliters) low-fat milk
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup, plus 2 tablespoons grated carrot, divided Cooking spray
- ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon, plus 2 teaspoons (25 milliliters) maple syrup, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1½ tablespoons golden raisins, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon shredded toasted sweetened coconut (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine flaxseed meal and water and set aside for 5 minutes. Do not stir.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs for about 30 seconds. Add vanilla, oil, brown sugar and milk. Stir until combined and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger and salt. Whisk the flaxseed water until thick, add to dry ingredients and stir together. Slowly add dry mixture into wet ingredients and stir with a spatula. Fold in ⅓ cup grated carrot.
- Spray each side of an egg waffle pan liberally with cooking spray and set each side on a separate stovetop burner over medium heat until hot, about 1 to 2 minutes. Scoop ½ cup batter onto one side of the hot egg waffle pan and cover with the other side. Turn off the burner not in use.
- Cook for 3 minutes, flip pan and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until waffle is golden brown and the “egg bubbles” begin to rise. Remove one side of pan and gently invert waffle on a baking rack. Repeat with remaining batter for the second waffle.
- While waffles are cooling, add cottage cheese to a medium bowl and whip with a hand mixer for 3 to 4 minutes until cheese becomes light and aerated. With a spatula, gently fold in remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon, 2 tablespoons grated carrot, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, walnuts and raisins.
- Cut each egg waffle in half and layer ¼ cup of cottage cheese filling on each half, leaving about ¾ inch on each side to roll the waffle. Gently roll waffles to encase filling. Use toothpicks to secure rolls and garnish with ½ teaspoon maple syrup and a light dusting of toasted coconut, if desired.
Cooking note: Waffles become harder to roll and tear easily after refrigerating. Roll waffles when slightly warm and spoon cottage cheese mixture in after rolled, if preferred.
Nutrition per serving:
CALORIES 381; TOTAL FAT 11g; SAT. FAT 3g; CHOL. 85mg; SODIUM 214mg; CARB. 57g; FIBER 8g; SUGARS 19g; PROTEIN 14g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in flaxseed meal not available. Nutrient analysis includes coconut.