Inspired by cinnamon rolls, this variation delivers a bit of sweet and savory flavor in every bite.
Serving size: 1 roll (58 grams)
Prep time: 2½ hours (includes rising time)
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ¼ cup, plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60 milliliters) warm water (heated to 100°F to 115°F)
- ¾ cup (180 milliliters) warm reduced-fat milk (heated to 100°F to 115°F)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup salted butter, melted
- 2½ to 2¾ cups white whole-wheat flour Cooking spray
- ½ cup fig jam
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) water
- Add yeast, 1 teaspoon granulated sugar and warm water to a large mixing bowl or stand mixer’s bowl and let sit for 10 minutes. Add warm milk and all-purpose flour to the yeast mixture and beat, using a wooden spoon or dough hook attachment, for about 30 seconds or until just combined. Add beaten eggs, cinnamon (if desired), salt, butter and remaining sugar and beat for about 1 minute. Gradually stir in white whole-wheat flour until the dough forms a ball and is not overly sticky.
- Turn dough out onto a clean, floured surface and knead until soft and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Alternatively, “knead” the dough in a stand mixer for 6 to 8 minutes using the dough hook attachment. Dough should be tacky, but not overly wet or dry.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a draft-free area at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Using a spatula or bench scraper, remove dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll dough out into a 15-by-9-inch rectangle. Spread jam evenly over the dough’s surface, leaving a 1-inch border. Sprinkle prosciutto, goat cheese and thyme (if desired) over the jam. Roll dough, starting from the long (15-inch) side. Once fully rolled, pinch dough to seal. Using a serrated knife, cut roll into 20 equal-sized pieces. Place in an 11-by-15-inch glass baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for about 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Remove plastic wrap and make egg wash by whisking remaining egg with 1 tablespoon water. Brush tops of rolls with egg wash and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly golden. Enjoy warm.
Cooking note: You may need more or less white whole-wheat flour depending on humidity.
Nutrition per serving:
CALORIES 189; TOTAL FAT 5g; SAT. FAT 3g; CHOL. 37mg; SODIUM 220mg; CARB. 31g; FIBER 2g; SUGARS 10g; PROTEIN 6g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in prosciutto and fig jam not available.