A couple of years ago, I got tested for food sensitivities. I’d been having horrible migraines and was feeling congested and pretty low-energy. As part of the diet therapy following the food sensitivity testing, I followed a pretty limited diet (only about 20 foods!)
So I became creative with the limited list of foods that I could eat, including cooking with brown rice. On that list: almonds, rice, raspberries, banana, lemon and honey. Ta-dah! I created my Almond Raspberry Banana Baked Rice.
While I can thankfully eat many more foods now, this remains one of my favorite tasty and healthy dishes, and it works for breakfast or dessert. If eating for breakfast, pair it with a protein such as a plain Greek yogurt or a couple of scrambled eggs.
This baked brown rice recipe is such a treat! And healthy, too, providing more than a half cup of fruit in each serving.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1⁄2 pint raspberries
- 4 tablespoons slivered blanched almonds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- In a casserole dish, combine rice, banana slices and 2 tablespoons almonds.
- Gently fold in raspberries, then drizzle with honey.
- Top with remaining almonds and lemon zest, then drizzle with honey.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.