I originally made this dessert for Valentine’s day. We were having a dinner party and I needed a rich dessert to pair with a lavish meal. Wanting something a little lighter, I decided to use silken tofu as the base for this vegan chocolate mousse. It’s full of antioxidants, packed with protein and has a rich consistency that whips up perfectly — soft tofu is a wonderful foundation.
This recipe is perfect for all seasons. It would be wonderful for a birthday dessert, for the holidays or for a party. No one would ever know that this is a vegan dessert, but it is perfect for anyone with food allergies, so long as they are OK with soy.
I whipped this vegan chocolate mousse up in my blender in a matter of minutes. It’s one of the simplest desserts you could make. Serve it in ramekins, small decorative bowls or martini glasses. I used mini mason jars. Garnish with whatever you prefer: chopped nuts, sprinkles, berries, coconut, cocoa powder, etc.
Easy Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- 1 pound package silken tofu (drained of excess liquid)
- ⅛ cup unsweetened almond, oat or soymilk
- 3 to 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup baking cocoa
- Unsweetened shredded coconut or your favorite sprinkles as a garnish
- Combine all ingredients (except garnish) in a blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth and creamy.
- Place ½ cup servings into a small container (try mason jars, ceramic ramekins or martini glasses) and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with cocoa powder, shredded coconut, dried or frozen chopped fruit or colorful sprinkles if desired.