Sweater weather is here! What better time to cozy up with a bowl of homemade soup? No butter or heavy cream is used in this recipe, and it’s both vegan and gluten-free.
This soup is great served with crusty bread, a grilled cheese sandwich or a salad!
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed (seeds removed)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 apple, cored and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage finely, chopped
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ nutmeg
- ⅛ cayenne pepper optional
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh thyme or sage Leaves
- Roasted pepitas
- Pomegranate seeds
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another minute.
Add the squash, carrots, apple, herbs and spices and 3 cups of vegetable broth to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Remove the pot from the heat and carefully remove the thyme sprigs.
Carefully blend the soup with an immersion blender until smooth.
Ladle into bowls, garnish if desired and serve!
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, you could add batches to a traditional blender.
- If you prefer a thinner soup, whisk in an additional cup of vegetable broth.
- Any type of apple will do.