That melty, neon river of whiz. Kinda like the movie theater popcorn butter. You’re not exactly sure what’s in it. You’re not exactly sure you want to know what’s in it. And it tastes better when eaten in copious amounts. But hey, if I’m gonna have fake cheese around here, I might as well know what’s going in it.
Here’s what this vegan cheese sauce has that can only ever be a sparkle in the OG whiz’s eye:
- Beta Carotene. That neon color is all natural, baby. Just ask my palms. They know that color all too well from the garden of orange veggies I eat.
- Nutritional Yeast. Yes, YEAST. It’s what gives it that cheesy flavor, and also a dose of fiber, protein and B vitamins.
- No oil. Well I guess this is one thing it DOESN’T have, but yup, no oils here. Trust me, they won’t be missed.
Let me just tell you that making a vegan cheese sauce isn’t as time or money consuming as it’s lead up to be. Especially this one if I’m gonna toot my own hybrid, electric horn.
This one just takes one blender, five minutes and nine ingredients to reach its peak neon cheesy and nacho-worthy potential.
Money-saving tips for this vegan cheese sauce recipe:
- Buy in bulk. I found my nutritional yeast in the bulk section of my grocery store which is less expensive than the pre-packaged options.
- Mash your own. The pre-mashed sweet potatoes are convenient, but pricey. Cooking them yourself in the microwave is easy and affordable.
- Use store brand. Common ingredients such as vinegar, mustard and spices can be less expensive for the same taste and quality.
5-Minute Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups cooked sweet potato flesh (from 1 large sweet potato)
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1¼ cups warm water
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Store in refrigerator for up to one week.
Add more or less water to achieve a thicker or thinner consistency. Use smoked paprika to add a more smoky flavor. Up the garlic flavor by swapping out garlic powder for 1 clove fresh garlic.