These delightful pizza rolls were soft and light and paired perfectly with a vegetable salad and berry yogurt dessert at our picnic today. The dough is 1⁄2 whole grain and rolled around a marinara, cheese and vegetable filling like a cinnamon roll! We each ate 11⁄2 of these delightful rolls.
Makes 12 rolls
- 1 cup + 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 cup warm (125° F) water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 cup + 3⁄4 cup all purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 mushrooms (stems removed), diced
- 4 mini sweet peppers, diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon Kalamata olives, chopped
- 3 tablespoon marinara sauce
- 1⁄2 cup aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup Gruyere or Parmigiano cheese, shredded
- In bowl of electric mixer with dough hook in place, mix 1 cup whole wheat flour with yeast. Add water and honey. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl down.
- Add 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour and 1⁄4 cup all purpose flour, salt and olive oil. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl down.
- Slowly add remaining 3⁄4 cup all purpose flour, kneading on low speed until dough leaves sides of bowl, about 7 minutes.
- Place in bowl sprayed with olive oil spray. Turn dough. Cover and let rise for 45-60 minutes.
- Saute mushrooms, peppers and onion in olive oil for about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute an additional 2-3 minutes. Empty into a bowl and cool.
- Mix chopped olives with sauteed vegetables.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto board sprinkled with flour. Roll to 14-x-8 inch rectangle.
- Brush marinara sauce over dough to about 1⁄2 inch from ends.
- Sprinkle with all of vegetable-olive mix and cheddar cheese.
- Fold in short ends of dough. From long end of dough, roll and seal seam. Cut roll into 12 pieces. Place cut side up on parchment paper. Press down slightly and sprinkle with additional cheese.
- Transfer rolls with paper to a pizza stone preheated in a 425°F oven. (I use an inverted cookie sheet to hold the paper and rolls to carefully slide to the hot baking stone.) Bake for 12 minutes. Cool slightly on a cooling rack.