A friend asked me to bring a hash brown casserole to her house for a potluck. After scouring the internet for healthy hash brown casserole recipes, I panicked. I couldn’t find anything that I wanted to make that I also thought my friend’s guests would like. I decided to wing it and take elements from a frittata and a potato kugel, a dish I make for some Jewish holidays. After only two tries, I came up with a delicious healthy hash brown casserole.
If you know me, you know that I’ll add low-calorie, low-carbohydrate, health-shielding non-starchy vegetables to practically any recipe. And this healthy comfort food recipe is no exception. The combination of eggs, cheese and potatoes practically begged for broccoli. Using lower fat cheeses brought the saturated fat and calories to a manageable level.
Hash Brown Casserole with Veggies
Serves 15 squares
- 9 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups lowfat cottage cheese
- 5 cups frozen hashbrown potatoes (no added oil or salt), do not defrost
- 1 large yellow onion, grated
- 6 tablespoons chopped chives, divided (about ¾ ounce)
- 1 (12.6-ounce) bag frozen broccoli pieces, thawed, with excess moisture removed, cut to bite-sized pieces
- 2½ cups 2% shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, mix the beaten eggs and the next 5 ingredients (through mustard). Add the cottage cheese and mix well.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the frozen hash browns, grated onion, 4 tablespoons chives, broccoli and 2 cups of the shredded cheese.
- Pour the ingredients of the first bowl (egg mixture) into the potato mixture. Combine well.
- Transfer the mixture into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish that was treated with nonstick spray. Use a spatula or the back of a large spoon to even out the contents of your baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of chives and ½ cup cheese over the top.
- Bake 40 minutes or until the top is golden and the center has set.
- Cut into 15 squares.