These pink pancakes get their vibrant color from pureed red beets. Delicious, nutritious and fun for the whole family! Perfect for this Valentine’s Day — or any day, really.
- 1 pound red beets
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 tablespoons maple sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups buttermilk, plain kefir, or plain yogurt
- ½ cup pureed beets
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
Heat oven to 425° F. Wash beets and wrap each beet individually in aluminum foil. Place in oven and roast ~60 minutes, until cooked. Once cooked, allow to cool enough to handle then rub off skin under running water and cut into smaller pieces. Place into blender and puree until smooth. Note: these can be roasted and/or pureed ahead and kept on hand.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, beets, eggs, and milk.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, using a wooden spoon or fork to blend gently. Stir until just mixed, be careful not to over stir.
- Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/3 to 1/2 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.