As you start to see strawberries popping up in the grocery store, think of this uniquely sweet and crisp salad. Endive — a member of the chicory family, which includes radicchio, escarole and frisee — can be served raw or cooked and offers a crisp texture and sweet, nutty, mildly bitter flavor. Not only is it a great source of potassium, it is also just 1 calorie per leaf! And strawberries are loaded with vitamin C, folate, fiber, potassium and antioxidants.
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 head endive lettuce, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces watercress
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- 2 spears asparagus, blanched and sliced
- In a food processor, combine all dressing ingredients and process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, toss together salad ingredients.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and enjoy. Serves 2 to 4.