When I miss breakfast, my whole day is off. To be honest, I look forward to eating breakfast every morning. Especially when breakfast includes the classic combo of eggs and potatoes.
Whether it's scrambled eggs and hash browns, or sunny-side up with home fries, eggs and potatoes are a match made in heaven. One of my newest breakfast obsessions is this Creamy Spinach Potato with a Baked Egg. Hollowed out potatoes become the ideal vehicle to house a perfectly cooked egg.
This compact all-in-one breakfast is great for busy mornings, but also satisfying for lunch or a quick dinner. On weekends, I like to whip up a batch of two or three. Then, I keep them in the refrigerator and warm them in the microwave or oven for a delicious meal in just a few minutes.
Creamy Spinach Potato with a Baked Egg
- 3 baked potatoes
- 1 cup packed spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ pepper
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prep potatoes, slice an oval into the tops of the potatoes, leaving a ½-inch rim. Flip the potatoes over and slice a very thin sliver off the bottom so that all the potatoes can lay flat.
- Scoop the inside of the potatoes out, leaving about a ½-inch layer of potato intact.
- Reserve half of the scooped-out insides in a large mixing bowl. (Use the remaining scooped-out baked potato for mashed potatoes or fritters.) Mash until most lumps are gone and the potatoes are fairly smooth.
- Heat olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add spinach and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until wilted.
- Add wilted spinach, sour cream, cheddar cheese, salt, pepper and scallions to the mashed potatoes. Mix until thoroughly combined. Taste and adjust for seasonings.
- Scoop 2 to 3 tablespoons of the potato-spinach mixture into the hollowed out potatoes. Press with your fingers so there is still a well or hole that can hold the egg.
- Crack each egg into a small ramekin. Then transfer one egg into each potato. Top with additional shredded cheese, if desired.
- Bake potatoes for about 20 minutes or until the whites are set. Enjoy hot.